02 March 2010

We are on a quest

Took the Elf to register for preschool yesterday. She just amazes me with her spark and wit. I discussed some of her quirks with the director (who happens to go to my church). And I realize what a major gift I have been given in that the preschool allows children and grandchildren of church members to register first (thanks, Nana and Grandpa and Helen and Rosemary and all my relatives who have been attending that church since the 1930s! Good job!).

So we spend some time listening to a story in the classroom she might attend. My friend, fellow member of our church, member of book club and director of Preteen's drama group is the helper in there (don't you love small towns?).  She asks Elf to go look on the wall at the display of a large paper volcano and trees.

Friend: "What do you see on the wall?"
Elf: "Wow. I have never been to the jungle before!"
Friend: "What else do you see?"
Elf: "Look! They have brachiosaurs and pteranadons and triceratops!"

It is sometimes so hard to not be proud of this kid and her vocabulary.

She seemed a little bit shy yesterday, which, if you know her, is just downright weird. LEast shy kid on the planet. She has had non-mommy time previously. She was attending the same home-based daycare that my nieces attended until January of this year. This allowed her to play with other kids and learn some things at "school" while mommy homeschooled big sister and worked. A few times she has recently told me that "when you used to drop me off at {her} house, I would cry and be sad because I missed you so much!" So of course I have questions and doubts about her going to preschool.

This leads me to revisit major questions like - why do I homeschool, anyway? What is my educational philosophy and how does sending her to preschool fit with this? Preteen attended preschool on two continents in three languages, mostly as daycare but it was fun to see her learn. I think there are definitely lessons she will learn at preschool that are beneficial... also some that aren't so much. I am definitely praying and asking for guidance in making this decision. Facing 7th grade homeschool with Preteen next year helps nudge me toward the easier choice. Knowing that Elf is a very bright handful and has made it difficult, to say the least, to get through this year also is a nudge.

This morning she marched over to me while we were getting ready to go out and announced, "I am on a quest, Mom." Well, yes, indeed we are on a quest. With a 3 year old I had to ask a couple of times what she was saying - you can never tell if speech and language development is making it hard to pronounce her R's or, oh my word, she really DID just announce that she was on a quest. So we will continue the quest for the right answers for her education, just as we did several years ago with the Preteen.

Maybe we'll run into a magical lady who will hand us some special tools to help us through the journey? Or is that too much Tolkein??

No comments:

Post a Comment